Let’s celebrate the arrival of a new season with this risotto. The smooth and rich mix of pumpkin and brown rice, it’s paired with a few selected spices and crispy mushrooms.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 200 g short grain brown rice
- 400 g pumpkin (peeled)
- 100 g mushrooms (brown button)
- 2 shallots
- approx. 2 ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1/3 tsp grounded black pepper
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- 1/3 tsp smoked paprika
- a pinch of grated nutmeg
- a pinch of salt
Heat a little bit of olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the finely chopped shallots and stir until they turn golden. Add the rice and mix well for approx. 30 seconds to toast the rice. Add slowly enough warm water to keep everything covered. Prepare 200 g of finely chopped pumpkin and add it to the pot. Mix well and cover with warm water, cook over medium heat for 30-40 minutes (depending on the rice that you’re using). Add water in small portions to cook the rice, there should not be water left when the risotto is ready.
You will also need to:
- Roast the other 200 g of pumpkin in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 15-20 minutes (until it’s soft). Place it on a baking tray with a little bit of olive oil, a pinch of smoked paprika, nutmeg, grounded cumin, and black pepper.
- Prepare the crispy mushrooms: toss the slices with a little bit of olive oil, a pinch of smoked paprika, nutmeg, grounded cumin, and black pepper. Place in a pre-heated pan, and cook over medium heat until they turn crispy (approx. 10 minutes) – keep an eye on them since they tend to burn easily.
When the rice is almost ready, remove the pot from the heat. Blend 2 tbsp of cooked rice with the roasted pumpkin and 4-5 tbsp of water: you don’t wont to get the mix fully blended – look for a smooth paste with some small chunks of pumpkin (if your blender is not suitable for warm food, wait for them to cool down before blending).
Mix the paste with the cooked rice in the pot over medium heat for approx. 1 minute. Serve with the mushrooms on top, a little bit of olive oil, and the mix of grounded cumin, black pepper, nutmeg, and sesame seeds.
If you prepare this risotto in advance and want to re-heat it, just add a little bit of plant-based drink (almond, hazelnut, oat: they will all work well).