There are plenty of studies that underline the importance of a healthy gut to support our health and well-being from a general point of view. Keep a few things in mind:
- embrace a healthy lifestyle rich in fibre, fruit, and vegetables, together with a variety of foods to get all the nutrients that you need daily
- include sources of probiotics/prebiotics, spices, and herbs
- stay active and de-stress
Here there are also a few information that you may find useful:
1) KNOW YOUR FIBRE:
Look for a balance between soluble and insoluble fibre. They work in a different way once they get in the body, and we need both of them to stay healthy.
We talk about them as soluble/insoluble in WATER.
SOLUBLE FIBRE: they form a gel-like substance in the gut which attracts water and helps to keep clean the digestive tract. Found for example in oats, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, chickpeas, barley, vegetables, some fruits such as apples, pears, and bananas. This gel also helps to slow down the digestion => “full sensation” that lasts longer.
INSOLUBLE FIBRE: they help to move the things through the digestive tract. Found for example in fruit, vegetables, whole grains, seeds, nuts.
START increasing your fibre intake today to keep a healthy gut => start discovering a healthier and happier you.
Remember that is important to change your diet STEP BY STEP – give your body enough time to adapt to the new habits.
2) NOT A BIG FAN OF PROBIOTICS (YET)?
Start with basic fermented foods like yogurt and kefir.
- when choosing one of these products in the shop, look for unsweetened options – the amount of added sugar in this kind of products can be a lot, and it won’t help you with either your overall health or gut
- choose one with only your key ingredients
- make them part of your daily life (in smaller amounts at the begin, to check how you feel and to give your body time to get used to them)
- pair them with fresh fruit, nuts, or seeds for breakfast or snack time
- you can find both yogurt and kefir made with plant-based ingredients
- at some stage, why don’t consider to start making your own?
3) A SIMPLE RECIPE TO START ADDING KEFIR TO YOUR DAYS…
SMOOTHIE WITH KEFIR, BERRIES, AND MIXED SEEDS
(x 2 smoothies)
- 1 small pear⠀
- 1 banana⠀
- 1 handful of raspberries/blueberries⠀
- 150 ml kefir⠀
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger⠀
- 1 tbsp shelled hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp milled chia seeds
- water (adjust to your preferences) ⠀
- on top: coconut yogurt + cacao nibs (optional)
Blend all the ingredients and adjust the amount of water according to your preferences. To get an extra smooth finish, I like to prepare in advance a chia pudding using kefir and chia seeds – so instead of adding directly these two ingredients in the blender, I add the pudding (this is also useful to allow the seeds to mix properly with a liquid and release their characteristic “gel”).
Would you like to start having a healthier diet and lifestyle, but also start building lifelong healthy habits? Are you ready for a change but need some help to get started? Click on the button below to take the first step: