A simple vegan green sauce made with avocado and a few other ingredients that will easily change up the look, taste, and nutritional content of your meal.
Ideas like this one will definitely come in handy for a quick lunch or on those days when there isn’t much left in your pantry: avocados are packed with nutrients and with their unique creaminess you don’t need much to create something delicious!
What’s your favorite way to eat avocado? Here there is some inspiration for you:⠀⠀
- mashed avocado on toasted bread with lemon juice, black pepper and cayenne pepper or chilli flakes⠀
- chopped avocado is a great addition to many salads
- avocado toast with sourdough bread and an egg or some smoked salmon
- green smoothies with avocado turn out incredibly creamy
- when paired with chocolate, a ripe avocado is the perfect ingredient for pancakes
Most of the time, the recipes you see around are with raw avocado but sometimes you’ll encounter a few options in which this ingredient is cooked (like these pancakes). While cooking your avocado is not an ideal choice from a nutritional point of view (better eating it raw to preserve the nutrients) sometimes you just need to do something that may not be a PERFECT choice but is the one that brings more JOY!
AVOCADOS HAVE AN UNIQUE NUTRITIONAL PROFILE
Avocados are packed with healthy fats and fibre, but they also have a high content of vitamins and minerals (such as vitamin K, C, E, vitamins from the B group, folate, potassium, magnesium). In 100 g there are 160 calories, 2 g protein, 9 g carbohydrates (7 g fibre), and 15 g fat.
CREAMY AVOCADO SAUCE
- 1 ripe medium-sized avocado
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds (crushed in mortar)
- a pinch of ground cinnamon
- a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- a pinch of salt
Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor: add a small amount of water as required to adjust the consistency of the sauce and blend until you get a smooth result.
This sauce pairs really well with roasted potatoes, grilled veggies, salads, or a slice of toasted bread.
If you liked this post, share it with your friends using the buttons below! Don’t forget to tag me @amatterofnourishment on Instagram if you try this recipe: I’d love to see your creations!